I’m fortunate to have showers at work so I can run during my lunch break. There’s a route through nearby neighborhoods that take me over train tracks right at the end. As I was finishing up I saw a train coming. Not one to risk death to save 3 minutes, I decided to let it pass rather than jump the tracks. Smart, right? BUZZ. Just after the engine passed me I heard it downshift and start braking. A minute later, it was stopped. I saw 4 options:
- Run to the front of the train and go around the engine.
- Run to the back of the train and go around the last car.
- Go over / through the train.
- What if the train starts going while I’m running towards the front? Longer wait. No.
- How long is this thing? Is there even anywhere to run alongside it? No.
- Obviously yes.
WTF! Stupid trains.